Sunday, November 2, 2008

Pieces of My Heart

Home is a shelter from storms - all sorts of storms. ~William J. Bennett

I love this quote. Our home has always been my haven. When life is tough, hard or confusing, my refuge is home. Yes, I am a homebody but not because I avoid the world. I love people and serving others. I consider myself a homebody because I love the physical and emotional comfort home gives me- second only to what I feel inside the temple. Joel and I work hard to make our home the kind of place that tells others when they walk in the door-"Come on in, put your feet up, feel safe and comfortable." That is what we, ourselves, need to feel when we open the door to our home. When asked where we have lived that feels most like home, I have a hard time giving a definite answer. You see, any house we have lived in was home to us. But each place we have lived still has a part of my heart. I thought it would be fun to tell a little bit about the places we have lived and what I miss about them.

So, even though I was born in Washington, I was so young when my family left that I have no memory of it. I've lived the majority of my life in California. I do kind of consider myself a California girl and am kind of sad about some of the ways it has changed. But here are pictures of things I miss the most about California (besides the perfect weather).
One of our favorite places to go was the Monterey and Carmel area. It was only about a 45 min. drive. I will always miss those long walks along the shore and pier.

Another place we've lived which is very dear to us is Kalispell, Montana. Both our kids were born there and it was a wonderful place to live.

Glacier National Park was less than an hour away. It is beautiful and fun to do some hiking-just remember-there are grizzly bears there!


Some of the things I miss most about Montana are haying the fields, hiking up the snow covered mountains to cut our Christmas tree, and quiet moments in the middle of a lake in our fishing boat.

We also lived near Salem, Oregon where we found lifelong friends that we miss dearly.


It was so green and beautiful- of course that green comes at a price! Lots of rain!! I miss our 100 year old home that we renovated.

Now we live outside of Nashville, TN. I'm sure that I will find it unique and special in its own way. I'm anxious to see the historical sites in this part of our country.





Mostly, I wish I would have really treasured the time that we lived in those unique and pretty areas. Yeah....they each still own a piece of my heart......

4 comments:

Traylor Family said...

What a sweet post! I'm from California too, but all I can think about is SMOG!

The Karrens said...

What beautiful pictures. I loved visiting Kalispell. I thought it was so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I miss California lots. Been 6 years since I was back, and last time I lived there was the first half of 1995. I have come to love Nashville, it brought me the gospel and my eternal companion that could be the reason I love it so much.

PS. I have a friend that teaches FEMA disaster prepardness and would be willing to teach the Young Men/Women a class or two if it's something you all are interested in.

Braden Bell said...

Those were beautiful pictures and I enjoyed hearing about all those places and why they were so special. I am glad to have you all here and hope you'll find it as special as we have!