Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Years Eve Trauma

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole-Roger Caras



This is the way Indy spends New Years Eve (as well as 4th of July) -shaking in the bath tub or under the bed, desk, etc. The only thing we've found he is truly afraid of is fireworks. One of his quirks you could say. It's okay, though... Indy (short for Indiana Jones) came into our life unplanned six years ago. He needed a home and we were afraid what might happen to this puppy that was brought to us if we didn't find a family for him. Surprise! That family became us. Joel's sister said she'd take him, but when it came time to hand him over, Joel and Caleb couldn't do it. He has since weaved himself into our hearts and will remain with us the rest of his days. Somehow, I became his number one. I wouldn't change that! He is my running companion, my nurse and listener. When I am terribly sick and lying on the bathroom floor, it's Indy that gently pushes his head and shoulders under me and tries to lift me up. Although he gets carsick, he was my companion on the long, slow, drive when we moved to Tennessee and he never threw up in my car! When I'm home, he seldom leaves my side. He's quite fearless- other than fireworks. Last spring he even chased a skunk. The result was Indy trying to run away from the smell on his nose. Unfortunately, he left the fragrance everywhere he ran in the house. Ugh!! He is a McNab-which is basically a short haired border collie. This means he is highly intelligent and easily learns new tricks. It also means it's hard to outsmart him when playing!


Our other dog is Archie. We got him at the local animal shelter in CA. They said he has chihuahua in him but we think he is more a mixture of whippet, terrier, and maybe min. pinscher. He has a sweet, lovable spirit. A week after we got him, he fell off the couch and broke his leg. Archie weighed a grand total of 3 1/2 lbs. with his cast on! He has since grown to weigh about 10 lbs. Indy and Archie get along much as a big and little brother.
I have always had a dog although not as spoiled as ours are now. Yes, I read Marley and Me. And yes, it made me cry. I'm not sure when I'll have the guts to see the movie- it was hard enough watching the Walt Disney movie Eight Below. I truly believe that a reflection of a man's character is how he treats a dog. I have had some wonderful furry companions in my life. The question is- will they be happily waiting for me on the other side of the veil?? I hope so.........


I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive.
-Gilda Radner

3 comments:

Braden Bell said...

That is really sweet! I love dogs. Glad the trauma only hits a few times a year.

Heidi and Caleb Sims said...

I really love the bathtub picture!! I can have issues too if a dog can! This just makes me laugh!

Linda said...

I really miss not having dogs. I had them when I was growing up, and my dog was named Licorice. He was wonderful. When we lived in Hollister and San Jose, I was at work all the time, and now that I'm HOME a lot, but there are no fences in Utah, we don't have dogs, but there are a ton of deer and wildlife in our immediate back yard, and I love it. Not the same as having a dog companion. I really want one. REALLY BADLY